For those who are unfamiliar with Cinemalaya, it is the biggest and the most prestigious Indie Film Festival in the Philippines.
Indie means new breeds, new comers and first timers. In fact, Cinemalaya only accepts films from those who have not directed more than 3 films in their lives. This makes the festival very interesting...as most entries are experimental and extremely unique than those which are shown commercially. Below are some entries:
- Kadin - 2 children walk miles and miles around Batanes to find their missing goat
- Pisay - a film about this famous HS of highly intelligent kids
- Gulong - a tale of 3 children looking for a bike to use for their summer vacation
- Tukso - Murder told in 4 different views
- Tribu - a story of the gangs of Tondo
Here are some of the winners in this year's Cinemalaya (full length feature):
- Best Film - Tribu
- Best Director - Auraeus Solito of Pisay (same director of Pagdadalaga)
- Best Actors - the cast of Tribu (by the way they are real gang members)
- Best Actress - the actress in Endo
- Best Cinematography - Kadin (hands down!)
- Best Editing - Endo
- Best Production Design - Pisay
After watching Cinemalaya, you will really feel confident that Philippine Cinema is alive (again)!