Cinemanyak Previews The 2009 Academy Awards

Cinemanyak Previews The 2009 Academy Awards

Monday, August 20, 2007

Ploy: An Artistic Psychological Drama Put Into Film


Cinemanyak Rating: 8.0/10
IMDB rating: 7.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes Critic's Rating: Not Available
Critic's Tomatometer: Not Available
What's your rating? Post a comment below.

Awards & Achievements:
Official Selection - Cannes Film Festival, Director's Fortnight
In Competition - Cinemanila Film Festival (ASEAN sidebar)


I'm starting to like Thai films. I was able to watch 3 at Cinemanila.

When I was in Bangkok last July, I was so happy to see that PLOY is currently running in the cineplexes. I've seen good reviews from those who were invited in Cannes, thus I know very well that this film is a must see.

The first few frames of the film reminded me though of my favorite director, Wong Kar Wai. The shot of passports being stamped reminded me Wong's Happy Together opening scene. Whilst Ploy's slow, lingering shots reminded me of Wong's 2046 and In The Mood For Love.

But in spite of this resemblance, Ploy is still unique...thanks to its good screenplay.

The film is a psychological drama about suspicion and jealousy. What started as a small misunderstanding between husband and wife, was later turned into a story of murder, rape and violence. And this is all because of a stranger named Ploy.

The tension of the story is good enough to sustain the audience interest for 2 hours. Story telling was perfect, and direction was superb. Cinematography was perfect.

Ploy is truly a Cannes material. You can still catch this film at Cinemanila, which will end on Aug 28.

No comments: