Cinemanyak Previews The 2009 Academy Awards

Cinemanyak Previews The 2009 Academy Awards

Monday, August 20, 2007

Persepolis: An Animated Feature Not For Kids


Cinemanyak Rating: 9.5/10
IMDB Rating: 8.0/10
Rotten Tomatoes Critic's Rating: 7.4/10
Critic's Tomatometer: 100% (Fresh by Rotten Tomatoes)
What's your rating? Post a comment below.

Awards & Achievements:
In Competition - Cannes Film Festival
Winner - Cannes Jury Prize
Winner - Cinemanila Jury Prize


Quoting a post in IMDB, PERSEPOLIS is a film about humanity where humanity is illegal.

This film opened a window to the difficult, often unreasonable, Iranian society. But the best thing about Persepolis is that they have exposed the story unconventionally...in a funny, black and white, full length animation.

I think this is the most acclaimed animation feature since Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Persepolis won the Jury Prize in this year's Cinemanila, and was selected in this year's Berlin Film Festival.

The material is very powerful that it covers topics like: the fall of the Shah, Iraq's invasion of Iran and the ultra-conservatism of some of our Islam brothers. But these were perfectly balanced with humor by introducing: Jichael Mackson, Bruce Lee, the lead's gay boyfriend and more. Watch out for the "Eye of the Tiger" part in the middle...it's freakingly hilarious!

Through the eyes of an idealistic, westernized Iranian girl Marjan, Persepolis showed how people in Iran learned to live a life as dictated by their conservative society...yet still dream of becoming more free.

Persepolis is a must see!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm glad I found your blog cos I'm a foreign/art film fanatic, too! =)

I found a copy of Persepolis in one of the stores in MCS (sorry, pirated only) but the subtitle is in French! No option for English and I am dyiiiiiiiiiiiiing to see it and well, of course understand it.

Could you please let me know where to buy one with the proper subtitles? Pleeeeaaase? Thank you so much in advance!

Cinemanyak Dennis said...

Good you were able to get a "cheap" copy of Persepolis. I only found the book!

Well, if you have a friend in Singapore, HMV (the CD/DVD shop) has it. I saw it there when I went last month, but I prioritized a limited edition box set of "In The Mood For Love" and "Love Of Siam" over the animation. :-(

I'll definitely get it when I go back to the Lion City. :-)

Thanks,
Dennis